tag

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Stone-cool butterfly

I spotted this  in my yard this morning. It's an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus for those of you who have to know). I 't know what type because I looked it up on the internet. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of types of butterflies and moths in North America. Who knew? Certainly I didn't but now I do.

This one was sucking the nectar out of the flower, about as mellow as a butterfly could be. I'm not a nature photographer - not something I ever practiced - but this guy was begging to have his/her picture taken. I didn't have my camera ready, but just to show you how relaxed this critter was, I had time to run back into the house, go downstairs to the dining room, where I thought it was, then out to the car, where I'd left it, then back upstairs to the back door and out into the garden, and it was still in the same place.

It was pretty big - maybe three or more inches across.  In two pictures you can see the body pretty clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.