tag

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bowery Poetry Club - NYC - 18th Annual New Year's Day Poetry marathon

Place: The Bowery Poetry Club, New York City.
The Date: 1/1/2012
KALEIDOSCOPE:The 18th Annual Alternative New Year's Day Spoken Word / Performance Extravaganza


I was there for about 2 1/2 or 3 hours. I lost track of time.
The good: Laphroig 12 year old single malt Scotch whisky at the bar, as well as other goodies.
The good: Some terrific poetry and some fine performances
The good: decent lighting so despite generally difficult photographic conditions, I still could shoot without needing a flash.
The good: Lots of titles for sale, with the ever pleasant Joanne Pagano in charge of the table.
The good: There were Unbearables there, some of whom I heard read: Thad Rutkowski; Jill Rapaport; Ron Kolm and at least one whose name I don't know. Some I didn't hear and I don't know if they read: Jim Feast; Susan Yung; others I didn't see.


The bad: no food. The café is closed for now.
The bad: it was a bit warm in the bar area.
The bad: a bit noisy in the back, and very crowded - which I guess is also good because it's nice to see that many people out to hear some poetry on what was really a very lovely New Year's Day in New York City.


The very bad: some of the poetry was very bad. I mean very very bad. And you had to sit through it to get to the good.


I took a lot of pictures. For the most part I was able to get two frames worth showing of everyone that was on during the time I was in the audience, which was not the entire 2+ hours I was there. The photos are in the order I took them.


I don't know who most of these people are. If you see yourself and you want me to add your name, post a comment or email me, or whatever.


Enjoy, and if you want to make a comment, sign in with your google account (gmail works.) Prevents spam.







































used the word androgyne

Hates small talk






Thad Rutkowkski
Thad Rutkowski


Jill Rapaport

Jill Rapaport











Ron Kolm

Ron Kolm


Click on a photo to make it grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.