tag

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Finger Lakes Micro-mini Vacation 3/31-4/1/2012: Day 2

Finally, and only a month later, the end of the Micro-Mini-Vacation in the Finger Lakes earlier this spring.

John Morris Manor - Dining Room
Tony getting the table ready
The place we stayed, which is the place we usually stay, is the John Morris Manor. It's located the town of Seneca Falls, on a rise overlooking the northern part of Cayuga Lake. It's a 19th Century Georgian style home converted into a bed and breakfast, operated by a wonderful couple, John Personius and Tony Masullo, with their two dogs, Bender and Bear. We've been staying there when we take a break in the Finger Lakes and over the years we've become pretty friendly with the innkeepers. I was a little sad for myself when they told me they are looking for a buyer, but happy for them that they are ready to retire, so I wish them luck and I hope the next owner of the property continues to operate it as a B&B rather than turning it into a private home or something else. Looking for another place to stay isn't what I want, though meeting David and Teresa at the William Smith Inn put an alternative in my mind, even if it is another half hour further drive to Geneva. If you've been following this blog the past six months or so, you might have noted I like Geneva, NY.

The weekend was unseasonably warm, which, if you look at the vegetation, is apparent. Considering these photos were taken on April 1 and already there were blossoms on the flowering trees and the grass was greener than might be expected that early in the spring. A little left over snow might be expected rather than what we got. On the way home, rather than head directly home, we stopped at a few wineries. We headed southwest  and cruised down the eastern shore of Seneca Lake. The day started overcast and by mid-day it was drizzling.

We stopped at Wagner Vineyards, Lamoreaux Landing Wine Cellars and Standing Stone Vineyards.




John Personius


Bender or Bear - I never can remember




The photos of the lake and the vineyards are not typical subjects for me. Looking at them now, a month later, I am trying to remember what I was trying to do when I took them. They seem to express a mood of anticipation, deceiving with long horizontals when the landscape's topography is not flat. Oh well,
 













No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.