tag

Saturday, December 1, 2018

I will never catch up but I can at least post from time to time

This is what I will call a miscellany.
Some of these photos were taken some time ago, some are very recent.
Some of them will have more description than others.

I'll start with two very recent photos.
The first I shot on a Metro-North Commuter RR train heading toward Brewster, which is where these four very nice people were heading.

They are from a couple of places in west and central Connecticut, were on their way home from one of their occasional outings to NYC together. From left to right, Lynn, Vinnie, Claudia and Renee. I hope I got those names right. They told me they all met at the gym they go to.

I was taking a walk on Madison Avenue. I'd offered some directional assistance to a seemingly turned-around family from Germany and watched them off. Before I could continue my walk, one of these pleasant women asked if I could help them. I pointed them in the direction they needed to go, gave them a quick tutorial on street addresses in Manhattan, and asked where they were from. The woman on the right told me they are from Kansas and her name is Dorothy. I wondered how they enjoying the wonderful city of Oz because it sure isn't Kansas. The woman with her is not named Toto.


Mackenzie was looking a little lonely at her tasting station at Park Avenue Liquors. I'd gone in to say hi to Marlon Paltoo, one of the most knowledgable people I know when it comes to  scotch and the owners, Jonathan and Eric Goldstein. I stopped to taste the Nautilus gin and chatted briefly with the brand rep. She moved here from Philadelphia. The gin, by the way, was very tasty.



These next three are street photos. Now the photo of the women from Kansas is a street photo too, and I guess the first one is too, but they are different. I got to know a little about the people in them. For these, all I know is what I imagine.

 And though I don't know these young folk, I do know that skateboarding is not a crime.
This photo was taken in the studio at the International Fusion Arts museum in Easton, PA. Jozef Dian, a Czech artist is here working on fabric, and his fabrications are fabulous





And finally, a one photo and one paragraph tribute to Juris Jurjevics. He passed away recently and if you do a web search on his name you will find several obituaries, including one in the NY Times. He was a good man, someone I knew for about forty years. In his lifetime he was a refugee in the USA, a Vietnam War veteran, a book editor and publisher and a novelist. He was also a much loved father and husband and the sort of friend you want to have.


I shot this photo during the summer of 2018. We were meeting for beer and conversation at a bar in the East Village of Manhattan. I did not know then I'd never see him again. I will miss him.
He was the cofounder of the Soho Press and they have a loving appreciation of him on their web site.


If you are interested in art quality prints of any of these contact me via email or the comments and we can discuss it.


Permalink:
https://kayester.blogspot.com/2018/12/i-will-never-catch-up-but-i-can-at.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.