tag

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Max/MSP Expo ’74 “Columbia Night” - Fri. Oct 14




When the sort of things happen that put a person behind in the projects that person’s working on, there’s not much to do except get past the occurrences and carry on. Of the several that delayed me, one was a very expensive cup of coffee that put my computer out of commission for more than a week; the other was the unusual snow storm that hit southern and eastern NY, NJ, CT and I guess also parts of MA. That storm took the power out at my home for five days. So it goes. Now I’ve got my computer back, the power’s on at home and I can get back to work.

A few weeks ago I went with my camera to the Columbia University Computer Music Center for their turn to show off for the Max/MSP expo 74. There were performances of electro-acoustic music, demonstrations and installations. For some people, the big thing is the music, for others, it's "Victor," the RCA Mark II Sound Synthesizer, pictured below. Max/MSP, for those who don't know, is a powerful extensible, scriptable music and multimedia software product from Cycling 74. It's been used an abused by musicians for a number of years. Don't blame the software for the bad, nor praise it for the good. It's a tool. Is it that hammer's fault when it smashes a thumb.
Two Mantas and a Macbook

If you want to know who some of these folk are, you can click here and visit the Computer Music Center's page for this event.

Click on the pictures and they will grow.


 
























 















No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.