tag

Friday, December 22, 2023

Early winter blahs? Feeling uninspired

Break-time's over, time to get back to work.

Yet I am feeling notably uninspired and thus the more than ten days gap since my last post. I know, I've gone far more than eleven days between posts, and besides being uninspired I've been dealing with things around the house. My house is more than 210 years old and sometimes problems in and around it build up and come to a head all at once. For instance, the intensity of rain storms has gone way up, a result of global climate change, and troll me if you think I'm pushing this one, almost definitely caused by humans. I'll take some of the blame, I'm a human, I drive a car, I have an oil fired furnace, sometimes I squander electricity and so on, but what I do doesn't compare to what the petrochemical industry contributes, the construction industry, automotive, oil drilling, refining and more. You add up all of what humans contribute and, as Rick said to Ilsa in "Casablanca," "it doesn't amount to a hill of beans," compared to industry and agriculture. Well, those rains cause me to have more and worse floods than in most of the previous 22 years in  this house, barring Sandy and a couple of tropical storms, and their intensity was probably enhanced by climate change, too. So I needed to put in a new boiler and had it installed a foot+ higher on bricks. I dealt with an issue where the sump pump was gushing water into the road. Now it spills out and spreads out more than 10 feet from my property line. 

And so on.

These things take a lot of time, use a lot of personal energy and in their own way, sap the imagination because it- the imagination- is too busy dealing with the mundane.

In honor of this, and in honor of the first full day of winter, I post notably uninspiring pictures shot at the Kensico Dam Plaza in Valhalla, NY on a day late in October, an uninspiring, grey misty day. The county was beginning to set up it's Holiday lights drive-through show, I was taking a short walk.

So join me in the shortest days and longest nights of December for a trip back in time to a grey day in October when the sun set later, much later since the clocks were still set to daylight savings time, if you could see it, and the nights weren't nearly as long.

You might ask why I post a picture of one of the cats I live with after the autumnal shots. Well, we all know cats rule the universe, or ought to and they are also so darn cute. I mean, she know what matters, curled up on the comforter in the afternoon sun.











Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.