tag

Monday, December 11, 2023

Too Many Choices - coffee

 Vacation's over. Back to the grind, in this case either whole bean or one of too many different grinds. Grrr.

Asked to pick up a bag of coffee when I went to the supermarket, I think I knew what was requested but arriving at the aisle where the coffee was displayed I spent more time than I wanted to spend scanning the shelves for a specific brand in a specific color package but I forgot that I was supposed to look for whole bean of a specific roast as well. I took these photos to show that if I got it wrong it was because it was impossible for me to get it right.

Of course I picked the wrong type - ground but not ground fine enough when I was asked for whole bean but ground would do if it was the proper grind, which I of course I got wrong. At least I got the brand right.

It turns out that the specific brand/type wasn't there, to wit a red package of Lavazza whole bean medium roast. HELP!

I know there are people who think more choice is always better but watch people board an empty train and decide where to sit. Some will walk up the car and back, looking at the seats in empty rows unable to make a fast decision. The same people stepping onto a half-full car will pick a seat and get out their laptop or their book or phone and settle in, the limited choice making it easier to choose. 

The same happens in the coffee aisle. But it doesn't mean I'll choose right.


The moral of the story, if there is one, is to write down exactly what you are supposed to get, along with suitable substitutions if the exact item isn't available, and then just grab something because you're going to get it wrong anyway.





Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.