tag

Saturday, November 4, 2023

06/25/2023 - NYC Queer Liberation March 2 (catching up #9)

 Indeed, I took a  lot of picture at the demonstration before and then during the march. If only more of them were crappy it would make my life easier.

I'm posting in multiple parts because it's easier for me and I think also for the view. We live in an era where people are alleged to have shorter attention spans than in earlier times. I am not convinced this is true. There is conflicting evidence. Sporting events keep taking longer - NFL games average nearly 3 1/4 hours, Major League Baseball games over three hours - compared to less than 2 hours until the 1940s and just over 2 1/2 hours in the 1980s. I do hear complaints and MLB has made rules changes to bring the time down.

The average running time of a theatrical movie is now over two hours and ten minutes which is 20 minutes longer than in the 1990s and unlike a sporting event, there are rarely breaks when a person can run to the bathroom or, if at home to the kitchen for refreshments.

Longer books - especially novels in series and biographies keep getting fatter and fatter, tv shows run to multiple episodes across multiple seasons and the act of binge watching has grown, requiring lots of attention for prolonged periods. All of this for an increase in attention span.

But then there's the short-form video phenomena exemplified by Tik-tok, where anything longer than a minute has probably lost its audience. 

I'm guessing that on balance, depending on the medium and the form, attention spans are about the same. So I think posting more than approx. a dozen to say, 1 1/2 dozen pictures is too many. What about if there are just too many good ones? Easy, break the post into parts.

And that is what I am doing.

Today, it's all about the signs people carried at the demonstration and march. Some were leftist politics, most were queer and feminist politics which I think transcends, or should transcend old school left/right divides.

Anyway, I hope I've kept you paying attention until now. Here comes the photos.

















Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.