tag

Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Boring Milkweed Pictures - sort of still (catching up #16)

 It's fall, almost Thanksgiving and the afternoon light, when the sun's out and half-way between noon and sunset is beautiful. I might say, if I was in the mood for cliché, breathtaking. Except I'm not out of breath except for pushing through the raspberry canes to get a decent shot of the milkweed seeds and coma (floss). We've got several plants at the edge of our property and just beyond that still have a couple of pods with seeds and coma still attached. In case you don't know, they are part of the life cycle of the eastern North American Monarch Butterfly - they lay their eggs on it and their caterpillars eat the leaves. 

The milkweed in fall is stark - most of the leaves are gone, the seed pods with their seeds emerged surrounded by their coma stand out, a miniature tableau of graceful nature, waiting for a strong wind to lift the seeds and it's little glider off to colonize another spot in the open woods and fields around where I live.

Speaking of the woods and fields, there are a couple of photos of them in the autumn light.

I think during the shortest days of winter I'll look at these and remember how much I like the autumn in New York.

I'm not a very good nature photographer but once in a while, I find a little bit of inspiration in something like this. I also like the look of the woods around the house at this time of year - the leaves mostly off the trees, the sun casting a glow on last of them in the understory. So I shoot a few photos and present them to you. If you are bored by them, well, so it goes.












Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.