tag

Sunday, February 4, 2024

A brief thought on Iowa and NH, and some seemingly random photos

Don't be defeated until you've lost.

And sometimes when you think won, you actually didn't.

I've been thinking about what happened to Donald Trump in Iowa and New Hampshire. Superficially it looks as if he won the caucuses and the primary but the numbers show a basic weakness. He only got a little over half the voters in both and if that's the best he can do with Republicans, who are outnumbered by both Democrats and independents, how will he do in the general election? How many Republicans will just stay home? 

I'm thinking about this and will probably post more on it as the year progresses.

And now onto the pretty pictures.

I carry my camera around with me most of the time. Sometimes I see someone with a face I just need to photograph. And then I see that someone is watching me and looks like they want me to take their picture too. I was in the wonderful Lakeside Diner in Stamford, CT last week meeting a friend for lunch. I saw Dave looking over his shoulder at the counter and I knew I wanted to take his photo. I did and looking up, I saw a woman at the counter watching. I said, "can I take your picture?" Dora agreed.

I had a patty melt when I was there. I'd never had one before but after reading a rapturous article on the pleasure of the patty melt in the NY Times the day before, I had to try one. The Lakeside's is a very tasty beef patty, Swiss cheese, delicious carmelized onions served between two slices of marble rye! It was worth the eating.

I was in Murray's Cheese at the Grand Central Market the next afternoon and it was all so tempting. I couldn't take it all home with me so I took it home in a photo.

And as there were more cheeses than I could buy at Murray's, there was more meat than I'd want to eat at  the local supermarket, and more gum than anyone can chew at the checkout counter. But they were so bright, so colorful and so I succumbed to the temptation and took the pictures.

And a shout out to the people at Berger's Ace Hardware in Hawthorne, NY.  They know there stuff and the people at the checkout are friendly. One noticed my camera asked about it. I gave him some information and he and his buddy let me take their photos.

I know there's a theme somewhere here, but I'm not sure what it is. If you have a suggestion, let me know in the comments.










Permalink


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.