tag

Monday, December 5, 2011

Street Photographs 2 - a few hats and a pair of boots



I don’t know, and I don’t know if I want to know, but it seems to me there’s something about the return of hats that puzzles me. I'm not being critical here, just curious. I think a hat is a terrific accessory: it keeps the wind out of the hair; it protects against the cold; it is a sunshade on a bright day; it can be waved to catch someone’s attention. Once upon a time, I used to wear one, and if it wasn't for someone saying to me, the first time she saw me with it off, that she always thought I was bald, I might still wear one. But now, I’m seeing a lot more of them around town.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not as if everyone is wearing one, it’s just that there are lot more of them on people’s heads than there was a few years ago, and the numbers are going up.

\Here’s a few examples of what I’ve seen the past few days. Three men, two women, and I guess the last one’s a man too. I don’t know if what he’s got on his head is a hat but it sort of looks like a wig on top of a hat. He was in a hurry to get somewhere, or maybe he was in a hurry to get away from somewhere. He went running past me on Park Ave. South near Union Square.
The first picture made me think Natasha Fatale waiting for Boris Badenov – cue the Rocky and Bullwinkle music. Or maybe Greta Garbo. What do I know? And that woman on the bench in Madison Square Park is a 21st Century Annie Hall with boots to match her hat, black velvet blouse, tweed  jacket and an iPhone. I had to get a close-up of the boots. They are very stylish, indeed. 

The rest? Well you make up your own captions. I had fun taking them. If you are curious, the ones in the park were shot in Madison Square Park, the ones on the street on Madison Ave. between E. 28th and E. 35th Streets. 

Hmm. I wonder if all these people are bald under those hats. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.