tag

Thursday, September 30, 2021

Thursday - Thoughts on a road trip with my kid

 My youngest child is 30 years old. Don't worry about how old I am. Some days I feel like I'm older than dirt and others, younger than springtime, or whatever. But Hudson and I haven't spent a lot of time together, meaning several days, since they were in college. That made this trip special all by itself.

Spending seven+ hours in the car together, just the two of us in that bubble turned out to be rather pleasant. The drive up was pretty much uneventful except for a few rain showers along the way, and the route took me along a road I'd never traveled before, through a few towns in Wyoming County and eastern Erie County that were new to me.

Hudson was interested in the route, especially after we got off I-390 and headed west from Mount Morris. Wyoming County is rolling farm country, with corn fields, orchards and dairy pastures. The ridges were often crowned with wind turbines, as electricity generation has become a substantial financial support to the farms. They are neither ugly nor beautiful and add a certain SF atmosphere to the bucolic scene.

Hudson is very political and they paid attention to the American flags, the occasional Trump sign and notable anti-SAFE Act signs - which is an indicator of a 2nd Amendment absolutist since the act does nothing to prevent most people from buying, owning and using their weapons legally.

I do wonder why people vote against their own interests in the name of "personal liberty," or because they are driven by resentment or imagined grievances. Yet people like Trump, and of course the loser ex-President himself, stoke those grievances and resentments with lies and inflammatory rhetoric. These people - the leaders and politicians - are drunk with their power to sway the minority and do nothing positive for anyone.

Anyway, here are a few photos of the derelict Buffalo Central Terminal. It once was an Art Deco landmark, now it's in serious need of major repair. From what I understand, its structure has been stabilized - the roof repaired, access to the interior controlled to prevent further vandalism, but it's still sad to see what it is. The woman in the photo painting over some graffiti told me the thing they need most now is money. 









Permalink: https://kayester.blogspot.com/2021/09/thursday-thoughts-on-road-trip-with-my.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.