tag

Thursday, August 11, 2022

Maynard Helgaas - Death of a Local Hero: part 1

Maynard Helgaas of Jamestown, North Dakota, passed away last week while in hospice care. I don't know the time frame when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease but his decline was rapid. His three daughters and son spent much time with him at the end.

He was my brother-in-law but I did not know him well. He was 19 years older than my wife, his youngest sister and as adults their lives were somewhat separate. She lives in Westchester County, New York and he spent most his life in North Dakota. I'd met him a number of times - the first time when I drove from New York to northwestern Minnesota with Mary to meet her family and experience the place where she was from, at family events that drew us in from all over and when he and his second wife visited New York City. We were always cordial with the potential to become friends. 

At the visitation and funeral I listened intently to his children, grandchildren, sisters and friends speak of him and his affect on them, his city and his state. He was truly a local hero who always gave before he needed to, and when successful, gave back most generously.

His youngest stepson, Tom, spoke of his feelings when Maynard was forced on him at age 17 when his mother introduced them and how he bonded with Maynard. His children reminisced about the man who raised them with a great mix of love and discipline, allowing them to grow into independent adults while always attached to their father.

I am not going to write an obit. If you want to read one, click here.

I flew out to North Dakota with Mary because her family is so important to her, and what's important to her is also important to me. I brought my camera and with permission from the family, photographed the funeral and some of the events around it.

These are photos of a sad event leavened with the joy of celebrating a life well lived. The melancholy lifted by a celebration of family and memory. 

Jamestown, ND is about 100 miles west of Fargo on I-94. It's a small city, the agricultural hub of its area.

I'm posting the photos in groups - today the service in St. James Basilica in Jamestown. Tomorrow I'll post the burial service at Calvary Cemetery in Jamestown. After that look for photos from a gathering after the visitation and from the post-funeral luncheon and then photos of some of the people.






















Permalink:

https://kayester.blogspot.com/2022/08/maynard-helgaas-death-of-local-hero.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.