tag

Thursday, August 11, 2022

Maynard Helgaas - Death of a Local Hero: part 2

 On the morning of August 5th, 2022 there was a solemn funeral mass held for Maynard Helgaas at St. James Basilica in Jamestown, ND. The photos from that service are posted below these. 

Following the mass, we drove to Calvary Cemetery where Reverend Neil Pfeifer, the Pastor conducted the solemn rites for the burial, witnessed by family including Governor Doug Burgum, husband of Kathryn, son-in-law of Maynard, friends, Msgr. James Shea, the president of University of Mary in Bismark, ND, and the the funeral director from Eddy Funeral Home in Jamestown, Charlotte Wunderlich.

I forgot to mention earlier when I posted on the Church service that Msgr. Shea delivered a moving homily. I am not Catholic but I learn wherever I can.

Rev. Pfeifer, a recent arrival at the parish and to Jamestown ran a beautiful service and I could tell from his words that he would have liked to have known Maynard better. At one point he said that Maynard was a "god fearing man." I believe Maynard lived his life in a way that made fearing god unnecessary. I mentioned this to the Reverend. He told me he did not mean it as if the person was afraid, but rather in awe. I believe that is probably true.

I was moved watching some of the children of Maynard and one of his sisters touch the casket for a final goodbye.

I am sure there are few, if any Jews in Jamestown. I had a brief and very pleasant conversation with the Pastor and Charlotte on the differences between the Catholic burial rite and the Jewish. We all learned.

Tomorrow I'll post more pictures, either from the light supper gathering after the visitation on Thursday evening or from the post-funeral luncheon in Jamestown.

Please share with the extended Helgaas clan.








Permalink

https://kayester.blogspot.com/2022/08/maynard-helgaas-death-of-local-hero_01770415560.html     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.