tag

Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Looking back: Outside Crookston, MN - May 2011

May 2011 found me in northwest Minnesota where a great nephew was graduating as valedictorian from the same high school my wife graduated from many years before, also as valedictorian. We decided to stay in a bed and breakfast located a couple of miles outside Fertile, MN. The house was once upon a time my wife's aunt's home and now was a very comfortable inn set among the grain fields near the Sand Hill River. I will surely publish some photos of the house and fields in the coming days, but not today.

We travelled by train from NY to Fargo, where we rented a car. As it happened, the car had a leaky tire and I had to drive to the nearest car rental agency - which turned out to be at the airport in Grand Forks, ND. It's small - only two gates, and looking at the departure board I realized you could, if you chose to, fly anywhere in the world from there, as long as you were willing to have a stop in Minneapolis. That may have changed since 2011, but I haven't been back to check.

With my replacement vehicle, I headed back to Fertile, a roughly 60 mile drive. 

One of the places I passed was Crookston, MN. Not exactly a metropolis - population about 7500, but it is the county seat of Polk County.

I didn't get out of my car but I stopped a couple of times and took these photos through the window. 



 



I'll dig through my archive to see if Crookston can be seen in any other photos. But I will definitely look at my Grand Forks photos and post some soon.

Permalink
https://kayester.blogspot.com/2023/02/looking-back-outside-crookston-mn-may.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.