tag

Sunday, August 8, 2021

Sunday - Some people say, "just saying." I say, "just thinking."

 I've been told that I see things other people don't. I'm not talking about ghosts or ghouls, things not of this world. I'm talking about the mundane things people just walk past. I don't know why someone walking about with me doesn't see them until I stop to comment or to photograph whatever it is that's caught my eye. You would have to ask them. All I know, I keep looking. A friend of mine once said of me that, "I would notice if the light's in an elevator were changed."

Of course there's plenty I don't see. When I am driving I try to be aware of what's going on around me, within the limits of keeping my eyes on the road. I often miss the deer on the side of the road, for instance. Walking through the city, looking at people, the facades of buildings, the cracks on the sidewalk, I am sure there are many things I simply don't see, and being alone, without anyone to call attention to them, I never know what I missed.

So what do I see? These photos are a few examples. They were shot around Easton PA in July 2021 but Easton isn't the reason, only a location. I could have easily seen the same things or very similar in any urban setting, large or small.

Working on these photos is a welcome distraction from studying aspects of quantum physics. This week I finished watching the first season of the Disney/Marvel Cinematic Universe show, "Loki." I won't get into some of the issues I have suspending disbelief. This show left me feeling some of that but I let myself go to enjoy the fantasy. What struck me was the way some of what was central to the plot is the theme of many worlds. I've been struck by the way some very reputable quantum theorists have come to embrace the many worlds as a solution to what happens in quantum physics. What happens in "Loki" isn't the same, but there are parallels, strong ones, especially with the Time Variance Authority's struggle to "prune" variant timelines. If the many worlds hypothesis is valid, the TVA struggles uselessly but I was amused nonetheless.

There are some excellent discussions and short lectures on the many worlds hypothesis. If valid, I can't know since I write this in the one that I live in.

These photos are of this world. Some are mundane, some odd, but all are things I saw and stopped to take the photo.









Permalink: https://kayester.blogspot.com/2021/08/sunday-some-people-say-just-saying-i.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.