tag

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Tuesday - The city is still quite but I sense an uptick in the number of people I see.

It's late August, a time when the city's residents and workers often take vacation, but also the time when the city is packed with out-of-towners.  I think I saw a couple of tourists walking on Park Avenue. I should head over to Fifth and see how deserted that is. I think I've been avoiding it, anxious that it will be too quiet. Maybe I'll go when I am next in the city.

The deconstruction of the JPMorgan Chase headquarters that occupy the entire block from Park to Madison, and E. 47th St. to E. 48th is busy. There are always hardhats of various types around on all corners and in between. The mid-block intersection of Vanderbilt Ave. and E. 47th is the main egress for the dumpster hauling trucks. When one is ready to load, the gates swing open and the truck backs in. The team of laborers maneuver the big dumpster full of construction debris into place and the truck hauls it onto it's bed with a screech of metal on metal and metal on concrete. It drives off to wherever it's taking the stuff, and another backs in and leaves an empty.

Meanwhile the crane that's brought the full one down has an empty attached to its cables and is already hauling it to drop off on the current roof level of the building. It's quite a sight.

Day one of the RNC was completely unsurprising. The air was filled with lies and exaggerations playing directly to the Repulsive Republican base, leaving the non-repulsives with a Hobson's choice of playing along and supporting the beast, voting for the opposition, either vocal or quiet depending on whether they have a job on the line, or just staying home.

The way I see it is that the people who already know they are going to vote for Trump will, no matter what happens, no matter what new revelations come to light. The people who are opposed will stay opposed, also no matter what Biden does or says. It's the ones who are in-between that matter now. Who are they and how are they leaning? For the life of me, I don't know.

Anyway, here's a few photos of the hard working crew at the base of the deconstruction project.









Permalink
https://kayester.blogspot.com/2020/08/tuesday-city-is-still-quite-but-i-sense.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.