tag

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Sunday - Perhaps not everyday unless I'm enjoying it.

 Yesterday I said I wouldn't be doing this with the same frequency I did for several months last year and yet here it's the third day in a row that I'm posting. I think I'm trying to build momentum and also, I'm enjoying sifting through the pictures I took this winter. I hope you enjoy these, too.

The winter of 2020-2021  was a snowy one here in Westchester County. Since I wasn't worrying about my commute, the snow was not an inconvenience. Rather, it gave me a chance to explore an aspect of photography I hadn't thought much about. 

Photographing snow is different somehow, as is photography right around sunrise. These photos combine both of these. The light is sharp yet not all there yet. Shadows are long and sharp edged. The contrast between the light and dark areas stinging. The snow adds to the contrast and sometimes the colors that emerge are surprising.

I am an early riser and I was lucky this winter past to be able to take advantage of that habit along with the snow. I didn't have to go far to take this, just to my backyard. Sometimes this meant walking through fresh, knee-deep snow. It was fun. The biting cold of some of these mornings was bracing and made the hot coffee I drank when I'd finished outside all that much more warming. I don't know if the stillness of the early morning comes through in these photos. I do feel there is a sort of motionless captured here - the times when the wind is lightest is at dawn and dusk, something I learned from the few times I went hot-air ballooning many years ago.

These photos, and those I posted on Friday and yesterday, were once atypical of what I shoot. The pandemic year changed that and now this type of photography is becoming another part of what I do.







Permalink

https://kayester.blogspot.com/2021/05/sunday-perhaps-not-everyday-unless-im.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.