tag

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Wednesday - Thinking about how it is and how it was

 I have mixed feelings about the commute into Manhattan on Metro-North Commuter RR. It's nice to not have to deal with crowded trains, nobody reeking of tobacco or eating their lunch or breakfast to add strong aromas to the environment is good, and getting off the platform in the city is easy. I never have anyone sitting next to me and just about everyone keeps the mask on so not only do you not know what the person really looks like but the danger of viral transmission is reduced. The trains also keep their fans blowing full time and the railroad claims they are cleaning trains frequently. Because I'm fully vaccinated, I am less concerned but glad to keep my mask on.

Yet I miss the panorama of people. the hubbub at each station as people board in the morning and settle into their seat and their routing, the shuffling in the evening as people prepare to detrain at their stop. I miss the nods from familiar faces, the greetings from commuter friends, the certain electricity in the environment. By the time it all comes back later this year, I probably will only commuting as often as I am now.

The main concourse is slowly, very incrementally gaining traffic. My hope, my assumption, is that more and more people are vaccinated and comfortable crossing through or waiting in that spacious hall. I look forward to it getting back to normal.

A number of years ago I read an architecture critic commenting on how well designed the original layout was, and that the concourse without obstructions was a wonder for it's lack of collisions. Of course this was in an era before smart phones and small screens in so many people's hands, screen watching leading to more near collisions.

Now, the spread of people - mostly commuters - has obviated that as a problem.

These photos track part of my walk through the MetLife Building, into Grand Central Terminal and onto the train. When I post more of these and ones from the morning commute, they will be similar, but always shot on a different day though usually about the same time.




Permalink:

https://kayester.blogspot.com/2021/05/have-mixed-feelings-about-commute-into.html





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.