tag

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Tuesday- Just the facts, otherwise it's all opinion

 That gravity wave I dreamed about was once very big but taking 1.3 billion years to get here, dissipated it's energy across a very wide region. Suffice to say that when the two black holes collided and coalesced, energy equivalent to the mass of 3 solar masses was released. You can calculate that using Einstein's most famous equation but I'll do it for you. That's 3x10^49 watts, which is more energy than is being produced by all the stars and galaxies in the universe. I think I got this right but you can easily check.

That's big. How big, you ask? Very very big, so big that it's hard to wrap you mind around it. If you were the Silver Surfer and close to the event, you'd  be surfacing a wave too big for even the Silver Surfer. He'd wipe out.

Sitting at the keyboard and typing this, I feel very small. I've been contemplating the difference between truth and facts. Truth, to me, seems a flexible thing and people can hold as true beliefs that are contradicted by facts and still insist they are true. Truth, it seems to me, does not require experimental confirmation, does not need to be disprovable. You either accept it or you don't but since it's truth, how could you not accept it? Well, that depends on the facts, doesn't it? And if the only "facts" you can present can't be tested, what sort of fact is that?

I'll stop now.

These photos were taken from behind my house early in the spring, late in the afternoon. These are facts but the photos are not factual, they are opinions, and you may make of them what you will.






Permalink

https://kayester.blogspot.com/2021/05/tuesday-just-facts-otherwise-its-all.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.