tag

Monday, July 27, 2020

Monday - Remembering working in very hot places - What horrors is Boogers for Brains working on now?

The hottest part of the day has become too hot for me, which isn't how it used to be. In the 1970s and 1980s I worked in places notorious for lacking air conditioning. I never learned to love it but I did learn how to tolerate it and survive to work another day. I remember how it felt, working in the very hot basement of the second hand bookstore during the summer, ventilation provided by large industrial fans on tall bases blasting hot, humid and dusty air down the aisles. I imagined it was like the engine room of a coal fired steamship and I was working in front of the open hearth. By the end of the day, I'd look forward to going outside, expecting to feel relief because it just could not be worse than in that basement.  But when I got outside, it wasn't any better. It just smelled different, had different noises and sometimes was worse for lack of a breeze.

Nobody ever moved to NYC for the weather, even people who say they did.

I feel for the men working on the outside of my house in the heat. They try to work on the shady side as much as possible, and since the long axis of my house faces east and west, they can do one side in the morning and the other in the afternoon.

I am worried that our baby-in-chief, his nibs Doofus Donald aka Boogers for Brains, is thinking about sending more paramilitary into other cities. He has no impulse control and since his campaign is trying to capitalize on the mess they are making in Portland, he might see it as an easy way to make more messes and make more campaign videos. This is someone who early in his Presidency started raising tariffs because he could, and decided that the pain they caused to trading partners was easy to see, and the pain caused at home was not, that they are good and he went ahead and did more, saying something like, "Tariffs are good."

The BLM movement is about justice, and he didn't get it when it started a few years ago and he gets it even less now, despite many people of various political strains seeing it. A person has to be a committed racist to not get it, and protests to the opposites, that all lives matter - which they do but that's not the point - are being obtuse.

I don't understand why the hate. I red an article today from the Washington Post, titled "When Black Lives Matter came to White, rural America"  (I hope clicking on the title will take you to it). It was both heartening and disheartening all at once. I was proud of the young women trying to make some changes happen, and saddened by the blind anger and hatred their small protests arouse in some people. This is not a zero-sum game. We all gain from opening doors and ending the institutionalized racism that is characteristic of so much of our society.

And in DC, the sTrump'et goads his zombies and makes them feel entitled and enabled by his own racist actions and comments. We are not fooled by his, "who me?" pretensions.

Unelect Trump. Take back the Senate. Make America America again.

Tonight's photos are from the Things I See series.












Permalink https://kayester.blogspot.com/2020/07/monday-remembering-working-in-very-hot.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.