tag

Friday, June 5, 2020

Friday - first one in June and we are still mostly hunkered down here

I read in the paper there were 20,000 new cases of Covid-19 in the USA reported yesterday, with some areas of the country seeing steep increases. Around here we are seeing the opposite. NYC reported no Covid-19 related deaths yesterday, where I live in Westchester is slowly reopening and we are seeing definite signs of life out there. I'll get a better feel tomorrow when I head over to the Farmers' Market in Pleasantville and I'll report on it then.

The sheer volume of people and institutions recognizing that Black Lives Matter is important to us as Americans is heartening. When someone says all lives matter that might be true but saying that shows a disregard for what it means to be Black in America, a total failure to understand that it's Black folk who are being killed by armed vigilantes and police for being Black, that it's Black folk that are under suspicion because they are Black, and that many others simply have the privilege of not worrying about these things because they are not Black.

You can be sure you aren't racist and still act in racially motivated ways. That is what people need to get and need to act on.

I decided to post a moody monochrome NYC shot today. I think it expresses some of the melancholy I'm feeling for having gone nearly a complete quarter of the year without getting into Manhattan, without seeing my commuter buddies, without eating food from my favorite stands, and so on.

After that there are a couple of local scenes, one of a local boat yard and the other of a winter moonrise over Pleasantville.

And I end with a snowy evening on Madison Avenue in Manhattan a few years ago. Is there anything more fun and more difficult than snow in Manhattan?










As always, art quality prints are available. I'm getting by during the pandemic so it wouldn't be charity.

artk AT jommelli DOT org

Permalink
http://kayester.blogspot.com/2020/06/firday-first-one-in-june-and-we-are.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.