tag

Saturday, June 6, 2020

Saturday - and it's really summer here is Westchester

I brought down the air conditioners from the attic - my 200 year old farm house wasn't designed for central air so it's window units in a couple of rooms, and that's it since we don't like sleeping with them.
They are useful during the hottest part of the day if we are home, but really only one room at a time is cooled off.

I did get out to run errands today. I went to the hardware store where I picked up some needed wood screws to repair the latch on the gate to one of the vegetable garden beds. We've got to keep the deer out or else we won't have those incredible tomatoes when they ripen.

The Farmers' Market was filled to its current capacity - with people lined up to go in. I didn't need anything so I just walked past the people waiting and peeked in to see that all the usual vendors were there. The shoppers were quite good about social distancing and wearing masks, which is reassuring considering how many people were ill with the virus a few weeks ago.

I was pleased to read about the demonstrations around the world in support of the BLM movement and at last a recognition by some who were slow to get it, that there is a real problem here, and it isn't just the killings - which are horrible enough - but the ubiquity of racism in this country. The problem is so deeply embedded that white folk, and I include myself - just don't see how entitled we are. Just look at what happened between the bird watching Cooper, a Black male, and the dog walking Cooper, a White female, in Central Park. She doesn't seem to think at all about what she is doing when she calls the police and starts to act hysterical. And through it all, she was in the wrong. Luckily, he didn't get hurt. Later, in her weak apology, she claimed she isn't a racist. 

Anyway, a few photos. Tonight it's what I call Street Portraits. All of these are candids and I love it when going through my archives I find shots like these that catch a moment in a person's life. 







Permalink
http://kayester.blogspot.com/2020/06/saturday-and-its-really-summer-here-is.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.