tag

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Wednesday - a rich White man, advisor to sTumpet says "systemic racism" is not a problem in the US

Seriously, this guy, Larry Kudlow, HumptyTrumpy's top economic advisor doesn't see a problem. I can ask why or I can tell you why. He doesn't see it because he's outside of it. He's never had to deal with it, so he says something that's ignorant and racist at the same time, which is no surprise. 

And Trump will deny anything he's done has been wrong, that he's never changed his mind, that it's false news that he lies. The only false news is what he spouts. He is like Big Brother in Orwell's dystopian novel "1984." He'd be happiest if he could erase the things he said that he had to walk back, but since he can't he simply denies he ever said it. And the HumptyTrumpkings pretend it's so, hands over their ears yelling "LALALALALA I can't hear you!" I'm just sick of it. It is time to unelect him.  Let's hope he doesn't do too much damage between now and his loss. He's trying to figure out how to get fascism in place here and we have to stand up to it.

But enough ranting, on to photos.

One of the volunteer activities I do is help manage the burial grounds of a society at a large cemetery in Suffolk County, NY. The society was founded by survivors of the Holocaust from a city in Poland and its region about 65 years ago. Most but not all of the generation of survivors has passed on and the task running the society has devolved to the second generation. As a matter of course during the time I've been doing this, I've gotten to know our little patch and its regulations quite well.

I was surprised when I took a walk not too long ago through, Sharon Gardens, a Jewish cemetery in the Kensico Cemetery in Mount Pleasant, NY where there were more foot- or ledger-stones - I'm not sure what they are called - than headstones in the area I was walking. It certainly gives a different feel to the grounds. The cemetery I manage the stones march back one behind the other to a certain point, and then face the opposite direction, but it's all headstones with a couple of exceptions, and the conformity in height gives one a sense that the deceased make a congregation.

The spread of markers embedded in the ground at Sharon Gardens allow for a sense of vista across the ground but from even a short distance, it's easy to lose sight of what  is there. In both places, you need to know where a particular grave is if you are looking for a certain person. 

I cannot say I prefer one over the other. They are just different and a preference is quite often a matter more of familiarity than of quality. 

I've picked some of these in-ground markers with brief epitaphs. It's interesting to read them, and try to understand the people who chose the words. There are more than I usually post, but these little memorials moved me.

Among them there are two family stones included with two members of each family.
























Permalink

http://kayester.blogspot.com/2020/06/wednesday-rich-white-man-advisor-to.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.