tag

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Sunday - the 31st of May already

It's been too long now, fully two and a half months, since I began self isolating. It feels like a lifetime and it's becoming weirdly routine, which I am not happy about. Yesterday I spent nearly four hours in the car driving back and forth to Ridgewood in Queens to pick up my kid so we could spend a half day together. It was worth it even if it was more driving than I felt like doing. 

I grant that places that usually have terrible traffic were easy to drive through. The only delays was getting past two accidents on the Long Island Expressway in almost exactly the same spot, just before the exit for the Grand Central Parkway and the Van Wyck Expressway. Odd that both should've been there.

It's been announced that NYC will enter phase one reopening a week from tomorrow. I'm not sure how that will affect me, but I hope that by the end of June I'm able to start commuting again. I miss it. I know I've said it before, but the feeling is with me all the time.

Today I hung around the house. I finally put the screens in the storm doors. It hasn't been urgent. We've only had two warm days all month. But June is here and with June we usually get plenty of hot days and warm nights. Spring has gone by without much thought. 

I'm saddened by what's going on around the country right now. The anger that has boiled out after the deaths of innocent Black men makes sense, especially when the supposed leader of this country does nothing but look for others to blame. But it is sad that other innocent people, shopkeepers especially, are being hurt by this. I don't have any idea how long it will go on, but it won't last as long as the problem of racism in the USA will last.

Anyway, a few photos. Tonight I selected some random midtown street scenes. The people are real, the locations authentic, and the photos candid.

Is it any surprise that in all but one, the central person is using their phone? 








Permalink
http://kayester.blogspot.com/2020/05/sunday-31st-of-may-already.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.