tag

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Sunday - It didn't freeze last night but it still felt like March this morning

I got out for a walk this morning. I was at the Kensico Dam Plaza at a time different from when I've been going there recently. It being Sunday morning, I expected to find a different people and I wasn't disappointed. I'll post about it in a day or two.

Suffice to say it's Mother's Day. My mom's been gone for more than twenty years but I still think of her. 

The social distancing and not being in the city didn't allow my usual Mother's Day kidding around. If I was on line at a store, a cafe or in the bank, and there was a woman of mothering age near me, I'd wish her a happy mother's day and then I'd frown. 

"People say I'm a real 'muthah' but nobody every wishes me a happy muthah's day, I'd gripe." 
That would usually get a chuckle and a bemused "well then, happy muthah's day to you."

These photos were all taken on my way to Grand Central Terminal on the last day I was in the city, March 13. By then the trains were less than a third full and as you can see, neither Madison Avenue, the through passage in the Met Life Building nor Grand Central are exactly crowded. Things were beginning feel weird and the scary part was about to begin.

By the time I got home that afternoon, I was feeling pretty ill and though whatever I had passed within 48 hours, looking back, I think I had a mildish case of the virus.

Did I know that nearly eight weeks later I would not get back to the city yet? I'm not a seer, I did not know.

It's been strange to say the least. Living in the age of the pandemic that shut down the world is a very odd feeling.

I think these photos feel sort of haunted, too.














Permalink   





http://kayester.blogspot.com/2020/05/sunday-it-didnt-freeze-last-night-but.html




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you wish. Comments will be moderated.